Monday, September 10, 2007

i'm not sure what i was thinking

so, not to compare children, but Avery painted her first picture just before her first birthday. I thought that moment was scary...how do you clean up that much paint? And Jackson gave his grandma one of his paintings for her birthday. So, it was raining this morning and I was trying to keep them busy inside. I thought, this is a great time to take out that paint.

I got them each an ugly shirt that we didn't care about painting. I got everything out while Nora begged to play with the rice table. (I had decided we were painting!) And it was time to create! I blobbed some paint on a paper plate. Nora dove right in, not afraid to get dirty. I was excited. Her little purple finger went right into her mouth. Damn. Not a good start. You can't blame her, we were sitting at the table! So I told her and we tried again. I got out more and more paint because Avery just needs some of every color! I think Nora tried a little of each color. It wasn't really that bad I suppose but it hurt my stomach just watching it.

Nora did wind up with a beautiful painting. And Avery made a lovely gray!

Then it was clean-up time. While Nora was tasting, Avery was rubbing her hands through the paint and it was actually dripping off her. I had Nora in the bathroom, leaning over the sink washing her hands and crying and Avery at the table repeating "i'm all done, momma, clean me up". I actually had to check the paint to be SURE that it was nontoxic the way Nora was crying. Clean-up lasted about 30 minutes. We have lost 2 shirts and one pair of sweatpants to the paint pile! Whew, that was tough. It was sort of fun but man, it was A LOT of work! They batter have enjoyed it!!!!

4 comments:

amy said...

you are a very brave woman. i wouldn't even think about painting!

jen said...

I think it'll be awhile before our next work of art!

Loni and Jackson said...

Jen- clean up can be pretty easy. when i had jackson paint- he ate most of it for sure. i put one of my old shirts on him. i also put a cheap plastic table cloth on the floor around is seat. i then tape the paper to his tray (of his high chair). he paints. i give him some little cars to drive around the paint (he won't with out them). i use a cloth napkin to wipe down the hands and face like at meal time. it's probably harder with two. i would stagger the clean up. lindsay does it with two and three kids at day care. i figure it can't be that hard. try again- i am sure it gets easier. enjoy the mess!!!!!

jen said...

so long as you can take a mess, it's a great time but with 2 there's an OVERWHELMING amount of paint loose!