Tuesday, August 21, 2007

considering kids?

let me just share the last couple weeks of my kid life. The first week of THIS month, Avery got bit near her eye, it swelled almost closed and then turned a lovely shade of purple. That same week, she spilled boiling water on herself while falling off her stool. She had red splotches all over and her hand started to swell. We almost went to the doctor red and puple and swollen. I'm not sure they would have let her come home with me.

Then there was the zoo day this weekend. See Marc's blog if this doesn't make sense. Long story short, vomit everywhere, tiwce.

Today, Avery had hives all over. Nora had a fever and cried more than not. All that crying really gets those mucous membranes going and what do you do with all that when you're one? You swallow it. What happens next? You spit it back up, all over your mom.

I've been peed on. I've had to clean up after leaky diapers. Nora's fallen off the bottom stairs too many times to count. Avery falls every few seconds and cries for most of them (that happens when you have a little sister and need more attention). And there's whining. And there's screaming. And there's throwing.

I'm absolutely sure there are SO many more events that I don't even consider out of the ordinary now. And remember, this is just this month. This month is not over yet! So, just a little warning if you are considering. The good stuff is so great but the rest really really sucks!

7 comments:

Lynn said...

As I sit across the room from you, Jen, I have to say that I've watched you deal with ill and sad daughters for the past couple of days and you have been patient and kind. There's nothing more frustrating than trying to figure out what's wrong with an unhappy, feelin' poorly, child who is too young to use words to tell what's wrong. It's difficult, but, in the long run (and when the hours feel more like days and the days feel like years) it's worth it. If you ever find a quiet moment, just take out that photo album and look at those wonderful times... And keep up the good work!

amy said...

that sucks, Jen. As you read from my blog after I watched them for like what, 12 hours? I was beat. You know I got nothing but respect for ya!

Marc said...

it is good when they both sleep though...mmmmmmm

petecobb99 said...

all the days, good and bad, make up the memory book...
in the end, if there is such a thing, you may be able to 'look back on this and it will all seem funny' as mr. bruce springsteen said, though he wasn't talking 'bout dipes and puke...

petecobb99 said...

and, by the way, how come nobody told the rest of us that you are a bloggin' now?

Marc said...

she's all ninja stealth with the bloggin.(among other things)

you just never see it comin....then BAM Murder Death Kill nature post...

jen said...

I figured all I'll probably write about is kid stuff...not interesting to everyone!