Monday, August 20, 2007

death and violence

So, I came downstairs from putting Avery to bed and I heard a strange sound. I went to the window to check things out and I saw this bird on the ground by the lovely birdfeeder we have. At first it looked like he was just enjoying a nice Nut and Berry snack from the gound. Then I realized he was actually holding a smaller bird down under him and pecking at it. Feathers were flying. The sound I heard was the poor little victim bird. I went out to scare him to stop and he thought about it for a second and then FLEW AWAY WITH THE BIRD. I was a little traumatized. I am now re-thinking this nature/woods thing. I'm thinking maybe I'm lucky he didn't attack me. I've never seen a bird attack before. Maybe the birdfeeders needs to go. It seems like a trap. Thank goodness Avery was in bed...

2 comments:

amy said...

OH NO! That's nature for ya. So sad!

Lynn said...

I remember when my kiddos were little and we went for a boat ride. There was lots of sloshing in the middle of the lake and my dad headed over to see what was happening. I think Amy was 7 or so.
It was two loons fighting -- obviously a territorial thing and they were really attacking each other. We quickly turned away and the kids kept asking what was going on. We told them the loons were playing a private loon game so we had to leave them alone.
Sorry Marc, Amy, and Scott. I lied to you that day...